Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Yesterday's Tomorrow by Catherine West


My Review:
5 ++ STARS
 
Un-forgettable!!  I thought that I wouldn't truly love or enjoy a book based off of Vietnam but I was SO AMAZED by this story!! I will never forget the characters in Yesterday's Tomorrow or the impact it made on my life! This story is about the heroes and heroines that gave their time and lives to the Vietnam War, what it was like for them there and how it was when they came home!

The main character Kristin goes to Vietnam as a journalist trying to finish the story her dad started in Vietnam before he was killed.  She meets Luke, who is a photographer and her room-mates brother and together they go out in to the war zones to capture the truth of what the soldiers were experiencing!

The suffering and sorrow was so authentic and realistic that I found myself crying several times while reading this book. I felt like I was right there living the pain and heartache along with the characters! 

The first majority of the book is about what Kristin and Luke went through in Vietnam and the latter half is about the homecoming.  This part of the book lacked a bit in keeping me interested but it was necessary for the story to flow well. I found myself fighting the urge to read the ending just to find out if everything was going to be okay. 

The dialogue was great! I LOVE grouchy yet sexy and mysterious heroes!! I feel awful that I'm always attracted to the "bad boy" in the books I read but it is true and Luke fits this well.  He and Kristin have some hilarious banter back and forth and it was great to feel like you were a part of it! They argued a lot yet the passion was unbelievable!!

The romance is so strong and so passionate!! They make mistakes and are slow to acknowledge the feelings they have but I loved it!! I actually went back and re-read some of the scenes I loved just to feel the passion all over again! The kissing scenes were breath-taking, not just because they were so passionate but also because of emotions involved with the kissing! Wow!!

The spiritual threads were kept to a minimum and I enjoyed what was in there.  I don't really care to read a story that is jammed packed full of strong-un-wavering Christians.  This story was much more believable because the Christians struggled with their faith off and on and I found it much more relatable to my life.

Content: There are a few swear words, maybe 2.  There are some passionate kissing scenes and some questionable choices. Due to the darkness of what these characters went through and the effects of war I recommend this for adults only, maybe 16 and up.

I find it hard to believe that this is a debut novel; I really have only read one other book that moved me quite like this one did! I will be keeping an eye out for more great books by this author!

Book Blurb:
She's after the story that might get her the Pulitzer.
He's determined to keep his secrets to himself.
Vietnam, 1967.
Independent, career-driven journalist Kristin Taylor wants two things: to honor her father's memory by becoming an award-winning overseas correspondent and to keep tabs on her only brother, Teddy, who signed up for the war against their mother's wishes. Brilliant photographer Luke Maddox, silent and brooding, exudes mystery. Kristin is convinced he's hiding something.
Willing to risk it all for what they believe in, Kristin and Luke engage in their own tumultuous battle until, in an unexpected twist, they're forced to work together. Ambushed by love, they must decide whether or not to set aside their own private agendas for the hope of tomorrow that has captured their hearts.
A poignant love story set amidst the tumultuous Vietnam War.
Beautifully crafted and thoroughly engaging!-DEBORAH RANEY, best-selling author ofthe Clayburn Novels and Almost Forever.
Filled with action, emotion, and splendid imagery that captivates the reader from the get-go.-DON BROWN, author of Zondervan's Navy Justice series
Exquisitely captures the feel of that time and place. Speaks to the very depths of your heart.--KATHI MACIAS, award-winning author of more than 30 books, including the popular Extreme Devotion series
Spans seas and generations to report on the Perfect Love Who will never let go. Don't miss this poignant debut novel.-PATTI LACY, author of The Rhythm of Secrets
Shows how even the most painful history can bring a future of beauty and redemption.-MEREDITH EFKEN, author of Lucky Baby
A beautifully crafted love story with poignantly flawed characters...a story of redemption, of finding Place when the known world is upheaved into the unknown.
-KATHRYN MAGENDIE, author of Tender Graces, Secret Graces, Sweetie, Publishing Editor, Rose & Thorn Journal

About Catherine West:
Website:

 
Buy Yesterday's Tomorrow on Amazon:
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment