Sunday, July 10, 2011

Raider's Heart by Marcia Gruver

Book Blurb:

Steal away to the Old South with Marcia Gruver’s Backwoods Brides series. Two brothers—one violent and one gentle—belong to a family of bandits. While Duncan McRae can hardly stomach their raids, his brother Hooper revels in the violence perpetrated by the band of thieves. When they meet mild-mannered Dawsey Wilkes, the competition steps up a notch as the brothers vie for her hand. Which marauder will steal Dawsey’s heart? Meanwhile, Dawsey holds the key to Dilsey McRae’s past. What will Dilsey do when she discovers the truth?

My Review:
4 STARS

Two lives...the wealthy and lonely and the loving family of outlaws!
Dawsey, a young lady from a wealthy family gets suddenly taken from her home and ends up with a family of outlaws! They keep her prisoner while they try to decide how to fix the mistake Hooper has done by taking her in the first place! Dawsey is mad, obviously, at the fact that she is a hostage but somehow the McRae family of outlaws is working their way in to her heart! Set in the late 1800's.

I really enjoyed this book!! I won this book on someone's blog a long ways back but had yet to read it because the book blurb on the back didn't sound too interesting! Well, once I started Raider's Heart I could not put it down! 

There is so much that happens in the story that I'd love to mention but I'd ruin it for you so all I'll say about the plot is that it's exciting, full of surprises, and keeps you guessing all the way to the very last page! This is such a unique story that isn't like anything I've ever read.  This was like reading a modern day Robin Hood story with a bit of a romance twist - which made for a fun tale!

The characters were all really likable and fun to read about! I especially enjoyed the two raiding brothers Hooper and Duncan! They remind me a lot of brothers; always competing, always messing with each other and ready to brawl at any chance!

My only complaint is that at times I felt the story moved just a bit too slowly and I wish the romance would have played out more than it did! I still loved the story and I will be watching for the next book in this series about the nephew Tiller. 

Content: This is completely clean romance wise but there was a tad bit of violence but not much. 

About the Marcia Gruver:

Marcia Gruver, author and creative writing teacher, lives in Texas, and has published various articles, poems, and devotionals. Her novel, Love Never Fails, won third place in the 2007 ACFW Genesis Contest. She is a member of ACFW, Fellowship of Christian Writers, and The Writers View."

Buy Raider's Heart at Amazon!
 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't come across this one. I'll have to look out for it. Amazing how a cover blurb can sell you or turn you off, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds great! I like your blog and am a *NEW* GFC follower! I'd love it if you stopped by my blog, Hardcover Feedback!

    ReplyDelete