Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Breath of Angel by Karen Henley

Book Blurb:
The stranger’s cloak had fallen back, and with it, a long, white, blood-stained wing.
When Melaia, a young priestess, witnesses the gruesome murder of a stranger in the temple courtyard, age-old legends recited in song suddenly come to life. She discovers wings on the stranger, and the murderer takes the shape of both a hawk and a man.

Angels. Shape-shifters. Myths and stories—until now.

Melaia finds herself in the middle of a blood feud between two immortal brothers who destroyed the stairway to heaven, stranding angels in the earthly realm. When the feud turns violent and Melaia becomes a target, she finds refuge with a band of angels attempting to restore the stairway. But the restoration is impossible without the repayment of an ancient debt—the “breath of angel, blood of man,” a payment that involves Melaia’s heart, soul, and destiny.

My Review:
4 STARS
For some reason I didn't have a lot of good expectations for this book and I let it sit on my shelf for longer than I probably should of.  I knew that this was a book about angels but as far as I could tell there wasn't going to be much romance, and I'm not a fan of a story without some romance (sad but true).  Anyways, when I finally picked up Breath of Angel and started reading I told myself I'd go until page 50 before I gave up, but by page 25 I knew I was going to enjoy the story and I stuck it out and loved it!

There is a chantress, Melaia who sees a man get murdered right near the temple where she was at and once she begins to prepare the body for burial she realizes he is an angel and the thing that killed him was a hawk or other creature!  Her journey begins with the discovery of the angel and her life is forever changed.

Again I was surprised that I was truly as invested in this story as I was.  While there were no romantic scenes technically there were some hints to a romance brewing in the future books which has me excited.

This story was mostly about adventure, angels and promise made 200 yrs prior.  Breath of Angel was somewhat historical and definitely fantasy, mixed with some mystery and action and adventure!  The parts about the stairway to heaven were so intriguing to me that I couldn't stop thinking about it for a few days after reading this book.
I enjoyed the characters immensely and I am really intrigued with Melaia and what her plans are for the future! She was a shy and sheltered young girl that grew along with the story into a warrior and confident person!

Breath of Angel was an easy yet action packed read and I plan on picking up the next book in the series to see how the story continues!!
Abour Karen Henley:

73933Award-winning author Karyn Henley has written more than 100 titles, including a mix of childrens books and articles, parent-teacher books, articles, and curricula, and preschool musicals and CDs/DVDs of original music for children.

Venturing into the young adult market, Karyns first book in The Angelaeon Circle trilogy, Breath of Angel, releases June 21 from WaterBrook Press (Random House).

An accomplished songwriter, Karyn has been a Dove Award nominee and received a regional Emmy Award as Music Composer for a Christmas television special. She has traveled worldwide speaking to parents and teachers and entertaining children and their families in storytelling/active movement sessions and concerts.

A graduate of Abilene Christian University (BSEd), Karyn received a Masters of Fine Arts degree in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts in 2004.

Karyn lives in Nashville, Tennessee.

More at http://karynhenley.com/
Follow Karyn on Twitter: @KarynHenley
 
Buy Breath of Angel at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment